Sunday, November 07, 2010

Hascal Giles, RIP

As reported by Curt Phillips on the PulpMags Yahoo Group:


"Western writer Herman Hascal Giles died Tuesday, Nov. 2, 2010, in a hospice facility in Bristol, Tennessee. He was 88. Giles was well known locally as a former newspaperman and had been the publisher of our leading regional newspaper - The Bristol Herald Courior - for 30 years beginning about 1950, but pulpfans will remember him as Hascal Giles, the author of 5 novels and several dozen western short stories for MASKED RIDER and other western pulps."


He also wrote several Steve Reese novels for RANGE RIDERS WESTERN
and came out of retirement in the Eighties to write several stand-alone
traditional Western novels that were published by Zebra, I believe. I hate
to admit it, but I don't think I've ever read anything by Hascal Giles. I
probably ought to remedy that. Rest in peace.

4 comments:

David Cranmer said...

Sadly, I haven't read anything by Mr. Giles either but will hunt some of his work down in the coming months. RIP.

Laurie Powers said...

It sounds like he was an upstanding member of his community. I'll have to see if I have any of his stories in the pulps I have. RIP.

Amanda McGrady said...

I am Mr. Giles's daughter, Amanda Giles-McGrady, and yes, his western short stories and novels were amazing. At one point, there was even talk of transforming his novel, Kansas Trail, into a movie production. I have all of his pulp fiction short stories still. He was a great man, my hero, and I miss him more than words can say. Love you Daddy. Amanda

Glynnis Hover said...

sI am Glynnis Hover, Herman Giles' grand-daughter. I am glad I found this page...it's the closest thing I can think to do to just let the world know that:yes, Herm was a very gifted writer and artist, but was an even more gifted human being. He loved ME,thru it all and despite it all and God knows THAT wasn't easy.I just hope he knows how very much I loved and admired him.He was my hero, too.I love you, Stubby