Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Crazy Heart

As I’m sure you’ve all heard by now, Jeff Bridges is great as a washed-up country singer/songwriter in CRAZY HEART. Looking like a cross between Kenny Rogers and Kris Kristofferson, he really throws himself into the part. I’ve always liked Bridges ever since I saw him in THE LAST PICTURE SHOW all those years ago, and he certainly doesn’t disappoint here. The supporting cast is good, too, with nice bits from Robert Duvall and Colin Ferrell. I really enjoyed the music, too. As in THAT THING YOU DO, another music-related movie, the people responsible for the music in CRAZY HEART have some up with a lot of new songs that sound like they could have been authentic hits. Beautiful photography, too, with a lot of stark southwestern scenery.

That said . . . boy, not much actually happens in this movie. It just meanders along, and yes, eventually changes does come to some of the characters, but at a glacial pace. I thought there were several places in the script where the conflicts could have been ramped up a little and made for a more interesting film, especially in the relationship between the characters played by Bridges and Ferrell. Maybe that’s just me, though. I’m a plot guy, no doubt about that.

I think CRAZY HEART is worth watching for the performances and the music. I wouldn’t recommend watching it when you’re already sleepy, though. It won’t do much to keep you awake.

7 comments:

David Cranmer said...

I like Jeff Bridges and will check it out but just not on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

pattinase (abbott) said...

It never would have been made based on the story alone--that's for sure. It needed some great acting and some decent music and scenery. The plot was by the numbers to say the least.
But I would watch Bridges in anything--and I have.

Scott D. Parker said...

I really enjoyed the time spent in Houston. It's great to see my city on the big screen.

Another fan of That Thing You Do? Thought I was the only one. Love that soundtrack immensely.

James Reasoner said...

THAT THING YOU DO is a really good film. I own the soundtrack.

Anonymous said...

We saw this movie. It reminded me of a picture you might've watched at the old drive-in theaters (are any still around?). Enjoyable enough.

Ed Lynskey

Scott D. Parker said...

As a huge fan of the soundtrack, I'd like to get another person's opinion of it. If you've the time and the inclination, want to write about it for Forgotten Music on 27 May?

Gonzalo B said...

The original novel is pretty good. I just read it this weekend but haven't seen the movie yet so I can't compare them. Cobb describes the world of bowling alleys and motels in which Bad lives in a spare yet engaging prose that reminded me of authors like Pinckney Benedict and Ron Rash. Cobb also wrote a Western (Sidewinder) and a short story collection before this novel. I've heard good things about both.