Wednesday, February 04, 2009

The End of The Cimmerian

After five years of publishing THE CIMMERIAN, one of the best Robert E. Howard journals of all time, Leo Grin has announced that the magazine is coming to an end with the December 2008 issue. The Cimmerian Blog will continue, under the stewardship of Steve Tompkins. I can't say enough about THE CIMMERIAN, which was always full of fascinating reading for Robert E. Howard fans and scholars, or about Leo himself, who has been a staunch friend and has done me numerous personal kindnesses. I was never able to contribute to the magazine as much as I wanted to, but at least I wrote a few letters for The Lion's Den, the magazine's very active letters column, and provided a few bits of info for articles and essays done by other authors. Some back issues will still be available (but only for a limited time), so if you're an REH fan and you've never checked out THE CIMMERIAN, you owe it to yourself to do so. (And while you're at it, head on over to the REHupa site, as well, for some eloquent comments on the subject from Rusty Burke.)

2 comments:

David Cranmer said...

I really hate to see quality magazines like this close shop but I'm well aware of the amount of time that goes into them.

Charles Gramlich said...

I was actually expecting this to happen. It's very hard to keep up the pace he set for himself. But there is a good body of work there.