Monday, April 07, 2008

Alvin and the Chipmunks


Nearly fifty years ago I was a little kid running around listening to a transistor radio (you do remember transistor radios, don’t you?), singing along with the hula-hoop song and the witch doctor song by Alvin and the Chipmunks. Tonight I watched a DVD of a movie with computer-generated versions of those same chipmunks singing rap versions of those songs and all I can say is . . . I feel old. Really old.

(Actually, the movie is pretty entertaining, although I still prefer the originals.)

2 comments:

Richard Moore said...

The actor/songwriter behind "Alvin and the Chipmunks" played the songrwriter across the way from James Stewart in Hitchcock's Rear Window. Usually performing under the name David Seville, his birth name was Ross Bagdsarian. Richard

Anonymous said...

I have a six-year-old and we saw this one in the theaters. Of course, we own the DVD and have watched it, uh, lots(?) of times. It is quite entertaining. Jason Lee is Dave but he also stars as the voice of the new Underdog movie. It was my son's first realization that there are actors who do more than one thing. One of his favorite parts is, of course, the one farting scene. But good film. They're going to make a second one, natch.
(BTW, found your site via Bill Crider. I like the things you write about [Batman, old-school detectives, etc.]. I'll be back.)